Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (超天元突破グレンラガン Chō Tengen Toppa Guren Ragan?, literally "Super Heaven-Piercing Gurren Lagann"), informally known as STTGL, is a large, mecha-like mass of energy formed during the final battle with the Anti-Spirals in the second movie adaptation of the series, The Lights in the Sky are Stars.
After Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann was destroyed by the Granzeboma, Team Dai-Gurren split its power into pieces to form their own separate Tengen Toppa Gunmen, including Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann's head becoming Tengen Toppa Lagann. The rest of said team was composed of a Tengen Toppa Gunmen for all surviving members, along with Nia. After a lengthy battle, Lordgenome sacrificed himself to absorb the Anti-Spiral's Infinity Big Bang Storm and create a mass of Spiral Power, which Simon absorbed into the Tengen Toppa Lagann, combining with the other Tengen Toppa Gunmen to form the Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. It only appears in the second movie, and never appeared in the original television series.
STTGL is a reality-warping hyperversal entity. It is larger than the observable universe and has the mass of an infinite multiverse. It possesses limitless spiral power, along with omnipresence. It is a manifestation of the limitless spiral power possessed by its creator and main pilot, Simon the Digger, who previously absorbed an infinite multiverse prior to creating the STTGL.
Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann has no official stated size. However, its size can be estimated using available information. Estimates for its height range from 348.48 billion light years to 10.45 trillion light years. Compared to the observable universe, which has a diameter of 93 billion light years, the STTGL is 3.7 to 112 times longer than the observable universe.
According to an official guidebook, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is 1025 times Gurren Lagann's height. But the guidebook is ambiguous on a few details, including Gurren Lagann's height (while the book assumes 5 meters for the Arc and Super Galaxy Gurren Lagann's heights, it's ambiguous if that applies to Tengen Toppa as well) and a potential 10x multiplier (the exact wording being "In traditional Gurren Lagann style it's multiplied by 10", with the past tense implying the mutiplication has already happened). As such, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann has four possible heights, ranging from 5.28 billion light years (with a 5-meter Gurren Lagann and no multiplier) to 158 billion light years (with a 15-meter Gurren Lagann and the 10x multiplier).
Comparing STTGL's foot with the Granzeboma and extrapolating using the average foot-length-to-size ratio of an average person (6.6, times 10 due to Granzeboma being 1/10th STTGL's foot), the height of STTGL is one of these four values: 348.48 billion light years, 1.045 trillion light years, 3.48 trillion light years, or 10.45 trillion light years. For calculations on this page, the one-trillion-light-year figure will be used.
After transforming into its drill form, its size is multiplied significantly, since its Super Tengen Toppa Giga Drill is approximately 20 times longer (approximately 20 trillion light years) and at least sixteen times wider. This gives it a volume of 1.34 duodecillion cubic light-years, or approximately 3.3 million times the volume of the observable universe.
The previous Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann form contains within it an entire Super Spiral Space, which includes an infinite multiverse, with each universe having 11 dimensions of reality. This would indicate that the Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann has the mass of an infinite multiverse, or a hyperversal scale.
Its enormous mass indicates that it sould have an enormous gravitational pull, which would suck in objects at a gravitational force orders of magnitude greater than the combined gravitational force of all supermassive black holes in the observable universe. In the movie, the Super Tengen Toppa Giga Drill is shown to suck in the entire Super Spiral Space (which includes an infinite multiverse).
This form resembled an immeasurable mass of spiral power in the form of a faceless Kamina, the former pilot of Gurren, original founder of Team Gurren, and Simon's surrogate older brother, though it has "hair" closer to Simon's, complete with crimson cape and Simon's star glasses. Its size appears to be approximately 66 times larger than its preceding form, with the Granzeboma and all the galaxies looking tiny in comparison.
Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann was destroyed when its Super Tengen Toppa Giga Drill Break was broken by the Super Granzeboma's Anti-Spiral Giga Drill Break. Even so, the ensuing decreasing scale of the Gurren Lagann line held off the Anti-Spiral. In the end, Simon surpassed the Anti-Spiral's power and defeated him in physical combat.
Attacks and abilitiesEdit
Super Tengen Toppa Giga Drill Break - Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann forms a drill from Spiral Power out of its right fist (a variant of the Giga Drill Break). This drill is over 180 times larger than STTGL (in terms of cone area). When it collided with Anti-Spiral Giga Drill Break, an equivalent attack from the Super Granzeboma, they caused the very Super Spiral Space the fight was held in to collapse on itself. This attack proved not strong enough to overcome the Anti-Spiral Giga Drill Break, however, and only succeeded because all other forms of Gurren Lagann took its place after it was destroyed.
In addition, Super Tengen Toppa has all the abilities of previous Gurren Lagann forms. These include abilities such as reality warping, creating energy and matter out of nothing, bringing large entities into existence, teleporting, traversing between dimensions and universes, super-universal level durability, and manipulating space-time and probability.
STTGL is an 11-dimensional being, as it contains a Super Spiral Space within it. This makes it capable of 11-dimensional reality manipulation.
Examples of its space-time and probability manipulation abilities include punching holes through space-time, attacking targets at any point in space-time (in the past, present, and future), attacking through space-time without moving, and manipulating probability such that a 0% chance of survival becomes a 100% guarantee of victory. It is also capable of matching the mind, soul, power, reality, space, time and probability manipulation abilities of the Anti-Spirals.
Its reality-warping and probability manipulation abilities go even further in being able to negate and cancel out any reality-warping powers used by opponents, such as negating any attempts to attack it through space-time, negating any form of reality manipulation, and negating any other reality-warping powers that an opponent attempts to use against it. The Anti-Spirals used mind, soul, power, reality, space, time and probability manipulation, all of which were negated by Simon and the STTGL with their own mind, soul, power, reality, space, time and probability manipulation abilities.
Super Tengen Toppa also has other abilities previously demonstrated by its creator and main pilot, Simon, up until that point, such as telepathy, negating mind and soul manipulation, limitless spiral power growth, and erasing an infinite multiverse out of existence with his thoughts (and absorbing it into the Tengen Toppa).
Prior to the STTGL's creation, Simon had escaped from the Infinite Multiverse Labyrinth, a multiverse consisting of infinite universes, which he absorbed entirely to create Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. In turn, absorbing the Infinity Big Bang Storm results in the creation of Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann in the second film. The fact that Simon previously absorbed an infinite multiverse indicates that the STTGL effectively possesses infinite spiral power. This is further indicated by the infinity sign that appears during its clash with the Super Granzeboma.
The Super Spiral Space is a hyperverse with an infinite multiverse contained within it, in addition to 11 dimensions of reality in each universe within the multiverse. A single dimension of the Super Spiral Space is shown to be at least thousands of times larger than the Super Tengen Toppa's drill form in terms of area, while individual "galaxies" within it are shown to be nearly as large as the Super Tengen Toppa, which means each "galaxy" is much larger than the observable universe. This makes each dimension of the Super Spiral Space the size of hundreds of thousands of universes, with the mass of millions of universes. In the clash between the Super Tengen Toppa Giga Drill and Super Granzeboma's Anti-Spiral Giga Drill, a leminscate (infinity sign) appears, before the entire Super Spiral Space hyperverse is destroyed in the clash between Super Tengen Toppa and Super Granzeboma, each shown to be nearly equal in power.
Super Tengen Toppa is shown to be almost equal in power to the Anti-Spiral's Super Granzeboma, but falls slightly short. The only other entity more powerful than the Super Tengen Toppa is its own creator and main pilot, Simon, who later defeats the Anti-Spiral without using any mech, but with a drill he creates from his blood. This is due to Simon inheriting all of the Spiral Power that was generated by the Super Tengen Toppa, along with the infinite multiverse he absorbed prior to that. Simon is later mentioned to have the soul manipulation power of reviving the dead (which he refuses to abuse), and is compared to a God.
The Super Tengen Toppa Giga Drill is approximately 20 trillion light years long (over 200 times greater than the observable universe), and STTGL can traverse that distance in under a split-second. That means STTGL's traversal speed is at least more than 1 sextillion (1021) times faster than the speed of light.
The Super Tengen Toppa Giga Drill spins at a very fast and smooth pace, which would indicate a spin rate of approximately 240 rpm (rotations per minute). Since the drill's diameter is over 4 trillion light years (four times STTGL's size), its circumference is approximately 13 trillion light years. At 240 rpm, this indicates a spinning speed of over 3 quadrillion light-years per minute. This is equivalent to over 50 trillion light-years per second, or nearly 2 sextillion times faster than the speed of light.
The kinetic energy produced by each rotation of the Giga Drill Break is estimated to be 4.2×1096 joules (4.2×1087 gigajoules). In comparison, the total mass-energy of the observable universe is 4.2×1069 joules. This would mean that each rotation of the Giga Drill Break produces enough kinetic energy to destroy 1 octillion (1027) universes.
The total mass-energy of the Super Tengen Toppa is technically infinite, as the STTGL contains within it an entire infinite multiverse.
- In theory, the Super Tengen Toppa Giga Drill Break did not fail to break the Anti-Spiral Giga Drill Break. It required the STTGL to weaken the indestructibility of the Super Granzeboma at the cost of its own structural integrity while combining every Giga Drill Break in history to finish destroying its only rival.
- Another theory is that the enormous Spiral Power generated by the Super Tengen Toppa Giga Drill Break was simply concentrated down into a single point, Simon himself. This is similar to how a drill eventually concentrates all its drilling power into a single point, allowing Simon to defeat the Anti-Spiral in hand-to-hand combat. In essence, Simon has inherited all of the spiral power that was generated by the Super Tengen Toppa.
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/translator/comments/6flmdz/japanese_english_a_piece_of_an_anime_databook_scan/
- ↑ https://i.redd.it/2ujotvibink31.png
- ↑ http://www.japanator.com/the-secrets-of-gurren-lagann-answered--6714.phtml
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Gurren Lagann Story Guide ("Trap of the multi-dimensional universe, last resort developed by the Anti-Spiral. It was a "multi-dimensional universe" that confines people to infinite possibilities. I might be there, the future I wanted to be like this. People will stand up before the possibility of spreading anywhere. That is exactly the Anti-Spiral trap that takes away the "will to live" from a person. The crews of the Super Galaxy Gurren Lagann who were confined in the enemy and multi-dimensional space. It deprives us of consciousness and drifts in the ocean of possibility of infinitely spreading. [...] No longer confused, the super spiral self of Simon integrated with the Multiversal Labyrinth and saved his comrades of Dai-Gurren from the infinite chain. Then, finally getting Nia back from the Anti-Spiral, Gurren Lagann emitted a new light, beginning Gurren Lagann's final evolution.")
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Dimensions
- ↑ In earlier episodes, the Dai Gurren Brigade traverse different dimensional universes within the space, and it contains the Infinite Multiverse Labyrinth within it.
- ↑ The galaxy that the Super Tengen Toppa stands on has a diameter roughly half that of the Super Tengen Toppa's height. The galaxy is thus billions of light years in diameter, with an area that is millions of times larger than that of the universe's largest galaxy (which has a diameter of 6 million light years) and with roughly 1/5 the diameter of the universe. In addition, galaxies consist mostly of matter, whereas the universe consists mostly of empty space, which indicates that each galaxy in the Super Spiral Space contains more matter than en entire universe.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Some Super Tengen Toppa Giga Drill calculations
- ↑ Orders of magnitude (energy)